Talk Out of School
Interview With Activist Shino Tanikawa on NYC School Admissions
Leonie was joined by Shino Tanikawa, NYC parent activist and a member of the Mayor’s Student Diversity Advisory Group, to talk about the new school admissions process announced by Mayor de Blasio and Chancellor Carranza for next year, and how it may affect school integration, funding and opportunities for students.
- For more information and details about middle and high school enrollment process for next year, you can visit the DOE’s website.
- New Admissions Changes For NYC Middle & High Schools “First Step” Towards Diversity, Advocates Say, Gothamist, Dec. 19, 2020
- Recommendations of the Mayor’s Student Diversity Advisory Group, August 2019
- Black Segregation Matters, UCLA Civil Rights Project report showing extreme segregation of NY State and NYC schools, December 17, 2020
- What Bill doesn’t get about diversity: His school admissions announcement fails the test by Taylor McGraw, NY Daily News, December 22, 2020.
- Lower class size and school integration go hand in hand by Shino Tanikawa and Leonie Haimson. NY Daily News, May 17, 2019.